Thursday, January 26, 2012

Stitches


The other day I went out to look for some new clothes.  Now, I dislike shopping, I'd even go so far as to say i hate it.  Hate is a strong word but man, shopping is a drag... unless I'm out hunting art supplies, then it's wonderful.

I'm at the point where i NEED to shop though, all of my clothes are literally falling apart.  Every time i put a shirt on I seem to find a hole, my jeans (that don't already have holes in the knees) are thinning at a mad pace.  Even my socks look up at me when I put them on and ask why they haven't been put out of their misery yet.

So yes, I went out the other day to spend some Christmas monies I generously received.  What I was greeted with was bland, lifeless, boring cloth bits trying to pass themselves off to me as what I wanted to occupy my closet with.  What happened to colour?  Bold, vivacious, lovely colour?  Why is everything shades of grey, dark blue, black, and beige?  I don't think I've ever yawned so much.  Even if there was a splash of colour it was muted so much I could feel the embarrassment of the fabric in my fingertips as i held it for 4 seconds, contemplating its worth before putting it back on the rack.  Even the cuts and styles were drab and boring, so la dee dah and "but everyone is wearing it darling".  I'm beginning to realize I'm not "everyone".  The main spark that generally sets me out to poach the perfect outfit is an image or idea in my head of what I'd like to find in the fashion desert/jungle. Oddly enough I never do find what my mind has created for me.  What's the deal with that?

I'm thinking I need to learn how to sew, like every other woman in my fam.  I'm surrounded by fantacular ladies who know their way around a bobbin yet i remain a dunce on the subject .  I spent my childhood summers pulling pins out of my feet in my grandparents Florida apartment (my sister & I slept in our Grandmas sewing room) and I think I need to put those metaphorical pins to use.   It's the only way I'll ever be able to manifest what my mind thinks is right for me.  My (dream) creations won't be some crazy new design, they'll pretty much be based on a solid 1920's foundation.  My wardrobe demands these basics;

* colour
* sparkle
* comfort
* shy sexiness
* swish
* fun
* imagination
* wonderment
* personality
* ribbon(s)
* me

With those basics sewn into reality I will accessorize with loose, broad, storytelling jewellery.  Lots of bangles that jingle about as I sip champagne...like my Grandma.  


No comments: